Friday, April 1, 2016

I HAVE DREAMS TOO- WORKING WITH THE OVER 55s

This is directed toward the over 55 years old set and also those coaches, trainers, providers and guides who work with them. Don't forget us! We dream too. I have noticed on the wonderful podcasts that I listen to, that many are directed toward a young audience. Sometimes a young speaker will speak on a topic that they think they have discovered as "new" such as body image issues, body awareness, healthy eating, etc Actually those topics have been hot for decades. There is an untapped resource for all of you out there. The over 55 set that still dreams of a better life. In fact, we have wisdom and we are knowledgeable beyond belief and I feel that many of us have been undervalued and have fallen to silence in young crowds.

When I had stage 1 breast cancer, I attended Live Strong, a free workout program at the Y for anyone going through breast cancer treatment. The young director had over come lymphoma at a young age so she was a great person to lead this program. She said "research shows that people with cancer have dreams and goals and care about their weight and fitness as well.". This is very true. Cancer often doesn't = death anymore. In fact, when you get a cancer diagnosis you are more motivated than ever to reach your goals in many cases.

My point is, for all the coaches, etc that read my blog, there is a whole world out there of over 55's that are really intelligent, interesting people who actually have a lot to teach you! Yes you! This is a financially stable group that still wants to learn, grow and reach the highest heights. It's your job to help us stay motivated and to help us feel that we have value in a world that completely devalues us. This is a great untapped resource for you.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Debbie Simon

My photo
Avon, CT, United States
I am a seasoned psychotherapist who has been on a spiritual journey. I believe in the intersection of spirituality and psychotherapy. The field of psychotherapy is rapidly changing and I am part of this change. The old traditional ways don't work anymore. I also do health coaching and have worked for programs at AETNA and ABILTO as a coach.