Sunday, January 31, 2016

WHEN ADVERSITY STRIKES

The truest meaning of prosperity is finding a way to turn adversity into a positive. Recently I lost someone who was important to me. It was sudden and unexpected. I had to find a way to not let this bring me down. I did find that way. Since his career was based on health and wellness I took another step toward my own wellness. The irony was, that he had a problem that he wasn't addressing. I wasn't aware that he had that problem. He had fooled everyone but when things came to a head in his life, he couldn't go on. We are all trying to make sense of it, but we also have to look at ourselves and how we can learn from another person's tragedy. Allowing this to set me back just isn't an option.

The same week that he passed away, I also got some unexpected news from my doctor. After recovering from stage one breast cancer, she has detected something on the other side. I really didn't expect that and it might turn out to be nothing as we explore it further. Still, my life might go in 1 of 2 directions. The unknown is always worse than confronting something head on, right away. I wish my friend had. Then he would still be alive.  Choosing life is always the right choice. Don't forget that life is a gift even when it doesn't feel like one. To be alive is really enough.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Debbie Simon

My photo
Avon, CT, United States
I am a seasoned psychotherapist who has been on a spiritual journey. I believe in the intersection of spirituality and psychotherapy. The field of psychotherapy is rapidly changing and I am part of this change. The old traditional ways don't work anymore. I also do health coaching and have worked for programs at AETNA and ABILTO as a coach.