Tuesday, June 1, 2010

MULTITASKING OR POOR TIME MANAGEMENT?

I was going to write about people who multitask and how difficult it is to be in their presence, until I realized that I am one of them. I know someone who cannot live without her headset and as we are talking she will respond to calls from her cell phone. She never stops doing. It's hard to be with her because she is handling about 3 things at once all the time.

Then I realized that I had some serious multitasking issues as well and whenever I point the finger it's time to look in the mirror!


The main point I wanted to make is that multitasking really isn't efficient at all. It takes us back to our "to do" list and away from what is really important in life. When I find that things are starting to get out of control I stop. I stop and I go into a contemplation. Or I write a letter stating how overwhelmed I feel and I let it pour out until I've gotten to the root. Then I refocus and I remember what is the most important thing for me to do that day, because there is always one thing that reflects an area of my life that I want to develop or improve. When I "remember" I know what I need to do next, and the less important things can be put aside.

But when we are with each other, in the presence of our friends or even a stranger, we need to be present so that we can listen.

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Debbie Simon

My photo
Avon, CT, United States
I am a seasoned psychotherapist who has been on a spiritual journey. I believe in the intersection of spirituality and psychotherapy. The field of psychotherapy is rapidly changing and I am part of this change. The old traditional ways don't work anymore. I also do health coaching and have worked for programs at AETNA and ABILTO as a coach.