Friday, September 18, 2009

DON'T STAY SMALL!

There are times in life when we get all these signs that we need to let go of something or someone. Events occur and we know what the message is but we don't listen to it. Then there is a window of opportunity to let go and we let the opportunity pass us by. Then years later we look back with regrets.

People will do anything to hold onto what is. About 95% of the people I encounter in my work and in my personal life do this. The universe is just waiting to give them something bigger and better but they hold on for dear life to what they have for two reasons. 1. They are afraid of what might happen if they give it up and 2. They want to keep everything the same.

Holding on keeps us stuck. We may not like the messages we are getting but we have to listen or else we will pay dearly for not listening. An example is that many people in NYC hold onto their rent control apartments. They live in a substandard building tolerating many unpleasant things and their apartment is usually substandard as well but "it only costs me ____/month. I can't let it go!". They accumulate money and they could invest in real estate at the right time and move into a bigger space with more amenities and what do they say? "I don't need a nicer place and those silly amenities". Boom, the opportunity has just slipped by. A few years later the building falls apart some more or the landlord does this and that to make their life unpleasant so they will leave. They look back and say "all these years I could have lived in that great place I looked at and now it is worth double what I would have paid for it"


This is just a metaphor for so many other examples. Jobs that get stale but have the trappings of "great" benefits. A relationship that is so disconnected that you are basically two people living under the same roof with separate lives, and on and on the examples go.

The next time the window cracks open and you get a whiff of that fresh air, lift the window all the way up and step through it.








www.visualprosperity.com

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Debbie Simon

My photo
Avon, CT, United States
I am a seasoned psychotherapist who has been on a spiritual journey. I believe in the intersection of spirituality and psychotherapy. The field of psychotherapy is rapidly changing and I am part of this change. The old traditional ways don't work anymore. I also do health coaching and have worked for programs at AETNA and ABILTO as a coach.