Tuesday, August 18, 2009

REFLECTIONS OF CHANGE

As we work on ourselves and change our beliefs and thoughts and approaches to problems the outside starts to change to reflect our inner growth. For example, if you were presented 15 years ago with the challenges that you have today, how do you think you would have approached them then? If you had the problems today that you really had 15 years ago do you think that you would find better ways to problem solve?

The other day a friend and I parked in a beach parking lot. We were lucky to find a space right near the tunnel that led to the beach. When it was time to leave we followed the crowd through the tunnel and were faced with hundreds of parked cars. We both remembered the parking scenario differently. Either way, my car wasn't there. I kept looking at certain markers that didn't make sense. She was sure we had parked on the other side of the lot which was a long walk away. That, I was sure wasn't true. She was sure that I was wrong. We wandered for about an hour. Every other car was the same color and make as mine.

Finally we both seemed to come to the same conclusion at the same moment. What if there were more than one tunnel? Maybe this wasn't even the right parking lot! I looked around and it seemed like the entrance at both sides of the lot were identical. I was really worried, thinking maybe there were a number of lots that looked the same.

We left through the tunnel we had just come through and realized there was another one on the other side. As soon as we went through that tunnel, my car was right there. When I gave up the belief that I was right and was sure that she was wrong, the truth came to light. We were both wrong.

Life often presents challenges like this one. The tunnels and the lots were mirror images of each other. There was a clue that I kept ignoring. There was a stadium far in the distance that had actually been right in the parking lot where we parked. I kept thinking "why is it over there?". My mind wouldn't be logical because I was convinced that there was only one parking lot and one tunnel. It was unacceptable to receive the information that the stadium was no longer where it had been. This might seem really odd to you, but how often do we all do this? Months after the fact we look back and wonder why we didn't see something that was right in front of our noses. We are stubborn creatures by nature and we really like to be right and we never like to be wrong. Right and wrong are subjective and then there is always Truth.










Learn more at www.visualprosperity.com
Debbie Simon is a NY State Licensed Clinical Psychotherapist and Visual Guide

No comments:

Blog Archive

About Debbie Simon

My photo
Avon, CT, United States
I am a seasoned psychotherapist who has been on a spiritual journey. I believe in the intersection of spirituality and psychotherapy. The field of psychotherapy is rapidly changing and I am part of this change. The old traditional ways don't work anymore. I also do health coaching and have worked for programs at AETNA and ABILTO as a coach.